Saturday, September 23, 2006

Bring The Noise, Bring Tha Funk

I remember dealing with the piping in crowd noise issue in Indy a few years ago. It was a Jets-Colts game that me and a few friends made the roadtrip for in 2003. I was scratching head as how a moderately excited crowd sounded like Yankee Stadium in October.

Seems like the Decibel monster has reared its ugly head in the Emerald City.

I’ve always thought the practice was lame. Maybe living in New York has spoiled me. But I figure if your fanbase can’t get live and rowdy for a playoff game, then they don’t deserve to have a team. I don’t want to hear about East Coast bias. It’s not as if West Coast fans have different anatomy than their East Coast counterparts. Their vocal chords and lungs work just the same as ours.

To be fair, I’ve always thought that Giants Stadium at times, has been a tame crowd by East Coast standards. Maybe it’s because the fanbase is older, I don’t know. But go to a Jets, Eagles, Steelers or Pats game and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

That being said, I fully expect the Giants to romp on the Seahawks Sunday.

Yeah I know, the Hawks are 2-0 and the defending NFC champs. I know that they were 8-0 at home last year and 24-4 there over the last several years.

But this team is prime for a beatdown. They squeaked by Detroit in a fieldgoal fest who went to get pimpslapped by Chicago last week. That’s followed up with a solid, if unspectacular win over Arizona at home, who could be decent this year. Hardly the sort of wins you write songs about.

And can someone tell me how the Giants get this brutal schedule, but Seattle, the NFC champs, starts off against Detroit and Arizona. Someone in scheduling must have a little something extra under their pillow courtesy of Paul Allen.

Meanwhile, the Giants start their year off against the formidable Colts at home and the always dangerous Eagles on the road. Were it not for some bonehead penalties, the Giants could be going into this game 2-0 instead of 1-1.

The Seattle offense hasn’t hit full throttle yet with Alexander hobbled and Branch yet to play. But neither has the Giants defense. I still think this can be one of the better units in the league if they can stay healthy. Umenyiora manhandled one of the best tackles in the game in Walter Jones last year. He and Strahan have had a lackluster two games. I expect them to come in amped for this contest. I think Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka will get some plays to keep Seattle off balance.

I keep hearing about how good Seattle’s defense is. We’ll see on Sunday, the Giants pretty much had their way with them last year and I don’t expect much to change. I don’t think Jay Feeley will be a factor in this game. But if he is, I suspect he’ll redeem himself quite nicely.

I don’t normally get all fanboy about the Giants, but I think this win in Philly is the beginning of a nice run for Big Blue. Manning makes me remember why I have him on two of my fantasy teams as does Tiki Barber. The Giants get a nice win on the road to go into the bye week.

31-21 Giants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home