Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Some Things To Chew On From The Last Week....

My liver is a Steelers fan.

It's rejoicing because the Steelers were able to do what AA or everyone else has failed to over the last two years.

Keep me out of Blondies on NFL Playoff Sunday.

After late nights of drinking on Friday and Saturday at my favorite watering hole, I had told several friends of mine that I planned to complete the drunken trifecta on Sunday.

Until I realized who was playing in the first game. Steelers At Colts.

Growing up in New York, I was a huge fan of the Steel Curtain teams of the 70's. I even owned a Steelers helmet. With the Giants stinking up the joint in the seventies, the Steelers were my adopted team.

That was before I actually had met any Steelers fans from Pittsburgh.

There is where I experienced my first sports conundrum. How can you like a team and hate its fanbase?

This is what I deal with when I watch the Steelers play on Sundays.

I like their coach. I like their QB, Big Ben. Hines Ward is one of my favorites among active players. I even like the Bus, although I hate his alma mater Notre Dame. Polamalu is a Trojan so I'm definitely a fan. I love the way the team plays the game.

But I despise the fanbase. The mob mentality. The sheer magnitude of their ignorance of the rules of the game. The lack of decorum. The bluster. As bad as Eagles fans only worse. They actually have four Super Bowls to brag about. Doesn't matter that the last one was before many of their fans were able to wipe their ass. It's still theirs.

I was at Blondies when Carson Palmer's knee exploded after a late hit. I had to listen to the assholes behind me cheer as he was carted off the field. Considering the fact that 1)I'm a USC fan and 2)I was in a foul mood after my Giants got raped by the Panthers, that I'm shocked that I was able to keep myself from making the troglodytes eat glass. I was so angry watching that game that all I saw was red for a full two hours after the game.

That weekend made me realize that if I keep courting trouble, it's going to find me in spades. And I've been very careful about tempting the fates over the years.

So I decided to forego Blondies until either the end of the playoffs or the Steelers get knocked out. Whichever comes first.

It's as if my liver was waving a Terrible Towel just to get my attention. All I know is this....whatever money, it's wagered in Vegas....I want half! Otherwise is cirrhosis city from here on in. I'll make Nicholas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas look like Andrew Volstead.

You'd think man whose current run of success in the NFL, started after one of the worst call in the history of professional sports wouldn't be the one who whined after a couple of questionable calls went against them in a playoff game...right?

I guess Bill Bellicheck didn't get the keep your mouth shut memo.

The Tuck Rule doesn't happen...chances are we're talking about the Raiders winning two straight Super Bowls instead of the Pats. Because Gruden never leaves Oakland. He probably beats the Rams. Never gets to share all of his trade secrets about the Silver and Black to Sapp, Brooks & company and he probably beats them as well. Brady and Bill are also-rans. Think Peyton and Dungy Northeast.

But because of the Tuck Rule, Brady becomes the NFL's poster boy, Bill becomes this generation's Lombardi and the Raiders get Norv Turner and Kerry Collins. Doesn't seem fair does it?

But I guess in forgetting his Lucky Bastard roots, Bill decided to rip the officiating in his loss to Denver on Saturday.

Now I can see why Jets fans despise this man. He shows zero personality most of the time and when does come out of his shell...he's a spiteful, little troll.

Here's hoping he has more to be pissed about in the next few years.

I only have one thing to say about the Colts and their loss to Blitzburgh.

Before Peyton throws his O-Line under bus...he should look at the tape where he's doing his Nicholas Brothers imitation in the pocket.

Happy feet? Those mugs were downright joyous the way they were tapping. I thought he was auditioning for Bring In The Noise, Bring In The Funk.

Mad Dog asked Mike the other day if it's fair to look at his failures against Florida.

I have only one thing to say that. The year after Peyton graduated, Tee Martin took that same team and not only beat the Gators. He won the National title.

I'll let you smart folks come to your own conclusions.

I hear Peyton means Bridesmaid in Gaelic.

Jets fans are excited that they got Pats leftovers to coach their team. How the mighty have fallen.

Then again, these are the Jets. Mighty and New York Jets should never be used in the same sentence.

I wish the 12 year old luck. He's probably an improvement over Herman Edwards.

Gotta give Mr "Miracle At The Meadowlands" credit though. He knows the game. He's a born hustler. How else can you explain a mediocre coach who just experienced a 4-12 season...getting a better job in a better situation?

Jets fans are upset that all they got was fourth round pick. Shoot. I wouldn't have given up a bottle of Mr Pibb and Red Vines for Herman Edwards. He's a mediocre coach at best. He'll never make your team better. If you give him a 10-6 team, if everything goes right, they'll go 10-6. They'll never 12-4 or 13-3. He'll never give you that extra edge that could mean the difference between a division title and a wildcard. He's playing Uno, while guys like the two Bills, Joe Gibbs and others are playing Bobby Fisher-Level Chess. It's like the other team having Omar Bradley or Patton and you have John Kerry or John McCain. Your guys are nice and have some experience....the other guys have classes taught about them and what they do.

Chiefs fans will find out soon enough. If Mangini turns out to be the real thing, Jets fans, you should send him a thank you card.

The Orioles have to be the worst run organization in the all of sports.

Not only do they give up a 30 year old stud left-handed closer to a division rival, they replace Raphael Palmiero with Kevin Millar at first base.

Kevin Millar.

Kevin Millar!

Did Orioles brass actually watch any of their 19 games with the Red Sox. Here's right-handed pull hitter playing in right-handed pull-hitter paradise...and he still sucked!!!!

As a Yankee fan, I just wish the Jays and the Sox were as stupid as the Orioles. Although I'm starting to have my doubts about the Lucchino-run Sox.

Maybe he's drinking that Baltimore Bay juice....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home