Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Well....I got one right....

And one of my darkhorses turned out to be a winner as well. So I didn't do too bad.

For the first time since 1980, no number one seeds advanced to the Final Four. How appropriate considering how competitive this tournament has been. Not one of the traditional powers is winning this thing.

I had a feeling Villanova would be overwhelmed by a bigger team. I just thought it would be Boston College because of upperclassmen experience and size. And they would have done it, had the officials not thought Villanova was Dook and decided to give them the game. Granted, BC had a ridiculous amount of turnovers, but the officiating down the stretch of that game was awful. If you're going to let them play, then let them play, don't pick and choose your spots.

That being said, I'm not at all surprised that Florida beat up the Wildcats in the way that they did. I had a chance to see them at the Garden last November. They whupped up on Syracuse in a way that isn't indicative in the 75-70 score. Despite their youth, I was very impressed with their poise and athleticism. I didn't pick them in my Final Four, but I'm not at all surprised they're there.

You have to be able to get some easy baskets to take the pressure off your backcourt. If not, and your guards are off, it's going to be a long night. Simple as that.

The problem with this tournament and people's selections is that they look at names and not at matchups. Noone is saying that a team like George Mason is better in UConn. But if you look at the matchups and ask yourself...."If we're playing one game for all the marbles, do they have a chance?" Then you realize that they weren't as much of a Cinderella as we initially thought.

There's a reason why when teams look at building a team, they always look for a quality big man. Not guards. Michael Jordan was an anomaly. Maybe picking Sam Bowie over Jordan was a mistake. But remember who was chosen first overall, Hakeem Olajuwon.

It's probably going to be an all SEC final. I'm rooting for Florida, but I wouldn't bet the ranch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home