Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Merlin Blog

Sorry that I'm just getting around updating this blog. Alcohol-induced exhaustion has forced me to play catch-up. So I'm writing a Merlin blog to get back up to speed.

For those of you didn't get that. Merlin lived his life in reverse. Which is the order I'm writing this blog.

Monday Night

Went to the Giants-Saints game last night. Shocked on how many empty seats there were in Giants Stadium. The trip to the stadium was an adventure in itself. Was going to take the usually reliable bus to the Meadowlands. There were two lines wrapped around Port Authority waiting for buses!! They probably didn't take into account the number of buses needed and weekday traffic. I ended up splitting a cab with three other folks to get there. These cabbies are stone-cold thieves. The Meadowlands is 6 miles from the city. Yet this scumbag wanted to charge 20 dollars a person! Anyhow, I finally get there in the middle of the first quarter and the Jints are up 7-0. This was an ugly game all around. The Saints had a trillion penalties and almost as many turnovers. They moved the ball well but the Jints would cut the drive short with a big play. Eli Manning was serviceable as Tiki Barber, Plaxico Burress and Jeremy Shockey carried the weight for the offense. The Giants won 27-10 and go to 2-0.

A couple of notes on the game. I hate preseason football as much as anyone. But after watching two weeks of just horrible football all over league I think a few more pre-season games are in order. Most of these games have been unwatchable. Part of it is the parity of talent in the league. But I think another problem is that the first units aren't getting enough reps together on either side of the ball. Some of it is because of injuries to starters. But some of it is because of holdouts and coaches being gun shy about their starters getting hurt. I think it's probably going to be another week or so before we get to see what many of these teams capable or not capable of.

I sat next to one of the rarest of breeds...a Giants-Mets fan. That's right. You'll see Yankees-Jets fans (mostly from NJ, even Yankees-Cowboys(because they're bandwagon jumping pansies) but rarely do you see a Giants-Mets fan. For those of you who are new to New York sports allegiances....Most Giants fans are also Yankees fans in part because the Giants used to play at Yankee Stadium and because they are the two oldest franchises in the city (along with the Rangers). So chances if your daddy raised you to be a Yankee fan, you're probably a Giants fan as well. Since the Jets played at Shea stadium for 20 years and most of the Jet/Met fan base is from Queens/Long Island/Brooklyn, most people who are Jets fans are Mets fans.

And on top of that she was a Yankee hater too!! So she couldn't even enjoy the Giants win because our section started chanting "Bubba Crosby! Bubba Crosby!" after we got word that he hit a walk-off homer to beat Baltimore. Needless to say, she left early. Her friend says that she had a tough day at work. I think it was because of the dark side of the force pulling at her conscience. Forcing her to make the inevitable choice that was in front of her....To finally don the midnight blue hat with interlocking NY. To finally join the Empire.



So concerned about her fate, the Emperor had this to say to this confused soul.

Sometimes tough love is the only way to go....

Now riddle me this, Batman....if you're going to a Saints-Giants game...why would you wear a Donovan McNabb jersey?? Eagles fan or not, why subject yourself to that sort of abuse? I once wore my Yankees hat at Fenway for Sox-Mariners game and I got more dirty looks and middle fingers than a kid wearing a Che Guevara shirt in Little Havana, Miami. This Iggles fan got the same treatment. The entire councourse started chanting "Eagles Suck!", "Eagles Suck!". He was last seen having drinks with Jimmy Hoffa in the Giants skybox.

Sunday

More awful football. The first game I watch is the Bengals mangling of the Roy Horns....I mean the Vikings. Think Daunte is missing Randy yet? He actually has to play QB instead of point guard now...no more alley oops. I don't think the Vikes are quite as bad their record. But I don't think they have the coach to pull them out of this malaise. Mike Tice has to go. He is an awful coach.

Any team that has a polka rally song deserves to have their fan base picked off like the conspirators at the end of the Godfather. One very demented Steeler fans decides to play their polka song before the game. The rest of the bar is shooting her death rays. It's the second game of the season, people! Jesus, can you chill with the Super Bowl predictions, please?

The second game shown on my side of the bar was the Jets-Fins game. I couldn't get to the second half of that train wreck. I went home to take a nap. Chad Pennington and his lollipop arm were just too much to take.

And people wonder why I stay up to watch USC?

Speaking of which....

Saturday Night

Joined some friends to watch Florida-Tennessee at Blondies. Another sloppy game but at least I was treated to a couple of gems earlier in the day. In both the road teams prevailed as Miami beat Clemson in OT in their first visit to Death Valley and Michigan State beat Notre Dame in front of Touchdown Jesus. Great games. Between that and the Yankees-Blue Jays Glove Fest in Toronto, I was good to go. But the dessert of choice that night...was watching USC trounce Arkansas 70-17.

Now you may ask...what's the attraction of watching a beatdown like that? I ask how often do you really get to see greatness? I mean really? How often? I watch USC for the same reason I watched Larry Johnson's UNLV squad at 1 in the morning and Mike Tyson destroy people during his title run. They were forces of natures, heads and shoulders better than anyone else. You have to appreciate the talent and skill that they bring to every performance. How they force their competition to play at their level if they don't want to be embarrassed like Arksansas or Oklahoma. Wearing my Marcus Allen USC Jersey I was as giddy as a schoolgirl at a Britney concert.

So giddy that I decided to play "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac during the beatdown. All the Trojans fans bobbed their heads in acknowledgement. The USC marching band played on the song and now they play it at games. Guess what I'm playing at Blondie's if they win it all again....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home